Wednesday, July 20, 2011

hanging tough


This body of work was convinced in the winter of 2010, collected over the year and brought to fruition this weekend. 5 logs are in Philly. They are beautiful. I am so tired. The Internet connection is strongest in the bedroom - so I am hoping that I don't fall asleep while writing this (yes, it is 7: 43 and I have two cups of coffee and am so sleepy). Today is my first presentation of the MFA thesis, tomorrow is two crits on the logs, another test run of the thesis presentation with corrections/additions. Then the defense is set for Friday night at 6:00 pm. This event however grand will not determine who I am or am not. It will be documented with photos and memories and will alter ever so slightly my being- but will there is no grand "ta-da" moment that hugely changes things. Change is slow and consciousness needs time and space to take root. It is an odd feeling to be so keenly aware of time running through me. I am trying to hold these moments so I can recognize the feeling of joy and gratitude, frustration and exhaustion that comes with hard, honest work.  I cherish the fact that I am living my life now at this moment.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know you but I am so proud of you! I love this blog but today's was especially touching. Your feelings really come through in your lovely words.
    "Change is slow and consciousness needs time and space to take root. It is an odd feeling to be so keenly aware of time running through me. I am trying to hold these moments so I can recognize the feeling of joy and gratitude, frustration and exhaustion that comes with hard, honest work. I cherish the fact that I am living my life now at this moment." <------Soooo well written. I'm in awe.
    Congratulations on your degree and the hard work that went into it!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. your words are very touching and thankfully encouraging. today was rough- the first run through of the thesis defense. it went so-so. room for growth is good. tough, but good. :-)

    ReplyDelete