Friday, March 23, 2012

2013 Arctic Circle Resident

Photo courtesy of http://blog.hanneketravels.net/
       I am honored to announce that I am a 2013 Arctic Circle Resident. It will take about 30 hours to fly there and I will need at least two or three days to plane hop. Then, from September 25th to October 13th, 2013, I will be aboard a two masted schooner, with  a small group of international artists, scientists and educators. Together we will work individually and collaboratively in  the High Arctic. We will set sail   from Longyearbyen, Svalbard.  Svalbard is a mountainous Arctic archipelago just 10 degrees from the North Pole.
     My reason for wanting to go is two-fold. I am  an artist whose media is deeply rooted in humankind's connection to the natural environment--hollowed tree trunks, found detritus from nature--I am intrigued by the thought of traveling to the frozen tundra and discovering new media with which to interact and make connections. My second interest in participating in the Arctic Circle is that  I am an art teacher in a K-6 public school whose students are economically and socially disadvantaged. I have made it a goal of my teaching to connect my students with something that all humankind must share in, the health of the planet. My goal is to create an environmentally literate citizenry who understand the importance of such environmental issues as climate change and consumerism. My classroom lessons endeavor to connect students to the natural world, foster a new understanding and respect for the planet, to know our past in order to imagine solutions to our most pressing challenges of climate change and inspire each other to work together to make a difference. I look forward to planning, researching and dreaming about this adventure.  
Here are some links:
The Arctic Circle Residency
The Ship that I will call home
A museum on Svalsbard

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Congratulations Laura. What an amazing experience you will have! Bring me back a rock if you can!

    ReplyDelete