Saturday, March 24, 2012

Arctic Reading

When I was doing my research for this residency, I asked other artists who had previously been to the Arctic, what did you read. Wyn-Lyn Tan suggested to read Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez. Since then, I have discovered a blog by Urszula Dawkins entitled Light Blue. In addition to providing an amazing reading list, her blog is an interesting read about her residency. I am including my current reading list here and welcome any suggestions. Of particular interest are themes of place, adventure, finding one self, land art and the Arctic. 


Arctic Circle: Birth and Rebirth in the Land of the Caribou - Robert Leonard Reid
Spitsbergen Explorer Map by Ocean Explorer Maps - Nigel Sitwell
Behaviour and perception in strange environments - Helen Elizabeth Ross;
A Field Guide to Getting Lost - Rebecca Solnit;
Way of Love (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers) - Luce Irigaray;
Spitsbergen, 4th (Bradt Travel Guide) - Andreas Umbreit;

A Woman in the Polar Night - Christiane Ritter;
The New Earthwork: Art, Action, Agency (Perspectives on Contemporary Sculpture) Twylene Moyer;

Arctic Dreams, Barry Lopez
About This Life: Journeys on the Threshold of Memory, Barry Lopez
The Last Imaginary Place: A Human History of the Arctic World –
Robert McGhee;
A History of Arctic Exploration: Discovery, Adventure and Endurance at the Top of the World
by Matti Lainema
The Future History of the Arctic by Charles Emmerson
Whales, Ice, and Men: The History of Whaling in the Western Arctic by John R. Bockstoce
The Arctic, 3rd: A guide to coastal wildlife (Bradt Travel Guide Arctic: A Guide to Coastal Wildlife)
by Tony Soper


1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura,
    Just getting around to commenting on this - I finished "Arctic Dreams" recently (well worth it).
    Here's what's on my bookshelf right now - "The Fate of Greenland" by Philip Conkling.
    "Ice: Stories of Survival from Polar Exploration" by Clint Willis
    "The Future of Ice" by Gretel Ehrlich
    "Kingdom of the Ice Bear" by Hugh Miles and Mike Salisbury
    "The Ends of the Earth" Edited by Elizabeth Kolbert and Francis Spufford
    "The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk" by Jennifer Niven
    "The Ice Museum" by Joanna Kavenna
    "1912: The Year the World Discovered Antarctica" by Chris Turney
    and
    "Ice: The Nature, the History, and the Uses of an Astonishing Substance" by Mariana Gosnell (I've already read this once.)

    I've finished:
    "Arctic Obsession, the Lure of the True North" by Alex Troubetzkoy
    "Narwhals: Arctic Whales in a Melting World" by Todd McLeish
    And the VERY LONG
    "The Sounding of the Whale: Science and Cetaceans in the 20th Century" by D. Graham Burnett.

    I will definitely get the Whales Ice and Men book on your list. But once I finish this and I'm on my way, I'll have an entirely non-Arctic bookshelf! I'm not even reading much on a machine, bringing paper books so I can pass them on and share at will. Yes, they're heavy but I just can't read on a Kindle (I'm too old-school I guess!)

    ReplyDelete