Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Do you workout?

     Do you workout? What exercises do you do? Have you found improvements in your physical and metal heatlh? Please share your experiences.      
      I have started a new fitness schedule for the Arctic Circle Residency. I feel like I need more endurance and strength for this upcoming adventure. I am decent shape – I do Zumba three or four times a week. But it doesn't feel like enough. I want to be really strong and able to hike effortlessly in the snow and ice. In addition to doing plenty of reading and research on the Arctic, I have decided to engage my body as well as my brain for this residency. My new routine is a kettlebell and TRX workout. Kettlebells are cast iron weights, ranging from 5 lbs to 100 lbs, shaped like a ball with a handle on top for easy gripping. Kettlebells offer a different type of training using dynamic moves targeting almost every area of fitness; endurance, strength, balance, agility, cardio & core/functional training. Kettlebells require you to stabilize the body & engage the core in a whole new way. Training with a Kettlebell builds strength, muscular endurance and mental toughness. TRX is a suspension training system, which utilizes a person’s bodyweight to provide a resistance workout. Gravity, movement & changes in a person’s body position create an endless number of suspension training exercises. The TRX builds strength, core stability, flexibility and balance.
    Exercising during my master’s degree helped a great deal with handling the pressures of writing a thesis and creating a final work of art for the graduate show. I found working out significantly improved brain function, mood, and energy level. I look forward to the regimentation of training and the improvements exercise will make both physically and mentally.
    
this is not me - just a photo of the TRX system

No comments:

Post a Comment