Wednesday, May 30, 2012

K-6 Elementary Art Show

There are so many reasons why I don't blog about my job as an elementary art teacher. I don't even mention where I work for fear of being "found out." Stated plainly, I am afraid of getting fired or put on administrative leave for my opinions. Don't get me wrong - I probably wouldn't  gripe about the job - okay once in a while I would. But primarily, I want to talk about my experiences as an elementary art teacher in an urban district. I wonder how does my experience with these children effect my work as an artist? Do the children influence me and how? When I walk in the classroom pushing my silly art cart, I know that I give agency to their voices, imagination, and dreams. Anyhow, one day, I will find the courage to write about my experiences as a teacher. But for now, relish in the joy of the end of year art show....

8:45 am this morning- the high school hall way

Van Gogh's sunflowers - the Philly show of his work influenced my lessons

I left this space for the part time art teacher to hang her work


Russian architecture


Wayne Thiebaud and Native American Tipis



k & 1st grade color wheel chameleons


Faith Ringgold's Tar Beach and a bit of Americana




giraffes - kids LOVE animals!


fyi - the sign is NOT mine. I couldn't take it down

king & queen self portraits - who doesn't want to rule the world?


Egyptian self portraits, color wheels and Frida Kahlos

the mural is part of the high school

Aztec warriors



abstract designs

4:45 pm - the same hallway

No comments:

Post a Comment