Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Red Bank Arts Walk



A group of six of us go for dinner every month. We like to try new cultural foods. We used to be a book club that cooked foods from the book – but some where along the way we stopped reading as a group and just started to meet for the food. This past weekend we included the Red Bank Art Walk into the evening’s festivities. 

The evening started at Gallery U.  I bought a painting from a previous show. The artist is Jill Caporlingua. The work is a series of squares in bright colors.  I knew the painting was right for me because I thought of it everyday. It was just living in my head. Although I have no idea where the work will go in my house, I just had to have it.

Next on the tour was McKay Gallery. The irony of this show was the artist Monika McCall. My friend, Cary, was telling me about this artist who does this hypnotic circles in wonderful layers of paint. Upon seeing  Ms. McCall’s work, I had a strange sensation that I had seen her work before but couldn’t remember where. Then when I went through my own blog, I realized that McCall’s work was at the Monmouth Festival of the Arts. 

From there we went to the Art Alliance. My friend, Lou Storey, introduced me to Eileen Kennedy. The Art Alliance of Monmouth County is a volunteer organization that has over 300 members and is located in the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank. It was a pleasure to meet Eileen. This gallery had such a warm feeling of community.

From there, we walked to the Beacon Fine Arts Gallery.  This is beautifully appointed gallery. I saw a few Tomie DePaolo original drawings. He is a children’s illustrator that I admire very much. He’s books are very accessible to the children that I teach. There were quite a few watercolors that held my interest.

The greatest pleasure of the evening for me was seeing Gerda Liebmann’s work. She is also the curator at Gallery 135 at the Red Bank Community Church on Monmouth Street. Her website is here. Sometime during my thesis research, I came across Ms. Liebmann’s work. She was using cedar and wrote about the practice of art and God. Her installation of the The Splintered Cedar was moving and the symbolism of cedar made me think more about which species of wood to select for my own work. When I saw the work in person, I  felt a sense of calm and peace. Wood is so alive – even if it is such saw dust and bark. There seems to be such a primal connection between me and the trees that I am forever in love with trees. Other stand out pieces were the Salt installation and the Stations of the Cross.

The Red Bank Art Walk was a success and I hear there will be another one. Perhaps the next walk will be incorporated with the New Jersey Museum of Contemporary Art (NJMoCA) second exhibit featuring the work of Dumitru Gorzo.

For more on the Red Bank Arts Walk – please check out this article.

Stations of the Cross by Gerda Liebmann



The Splintered Cedar by Gerda Liebmann

The Splintered Cedar by Gerda Liebmann

Salt by Gerda Liebmann

detail of Salt

The Wind Blows Where it Wishes by Gerda Liebmann

The Wind Blows Where it Wishes by Gerda Liebmann

2 comments:

  1. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Great post. Thank you so much for your lovely comments and for collecting my work! I can see why you were attracted to the squares, I really like your style...especially "Salvaged Wood from wrecked boat."
    Hope to see you at another event.
    All the best,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete