Sunday, July 29, 2012

What have you pinned today?


   I know you all have heard it before – Pinterest. The latest, hottest social media site where you can “pin” images on a virtual board. I am not here to comment on issues of copyright – there’s been plenty said about that. I try to do the best I can and give the appropriate credit to my pinned images. What I am going to tell you is how Pinterest has replaced Google images for me and how Pinterest is a more accurate search engine. Other living people have pinned something of interest on Pinterest; I am not looking at the results of a search engine maintained by running an  algorithm on a web crawler. 

      I can type in “yarn bombs” in Pinterest and get hundreds of images of yarn bombs. I click on the image and 9 times out of 10, I am directed to the origin of the image. Sometimes it is an artist’s website, sometimes it is an article, sometimes it is a blog with more information. Usually it is so worth the click.  
    I started on Pinterest  last year during my last semester in graduate school. In between writing about Eva Hesse and my work, I just needed a break. A five-minute check out into dream world. If I left my computer, I might never have returned to the task at hand. Socailizing on Facebook or twitter wasn’t cutting it – I didn’t want to see pictures of my friends in the pool or out having fun in the sunshine while I was locked away in the library. So, I started pinning. First, it was about the clothes I wished I could afford; foods that I wish I could eat without getting fat and exotic places I wish I could travel too. These shallow dreams didn’t last long. Materialism and consummation doesn’t hold my imagination for an extended period of time. So, I started pinning my favorite color combinations – pink and orange, black and white. Then pins about sketchbooks and installations started to appear. Photography tips, urban beekeeping, organic gardening,  and lesson plans for school dominated my search. Now, whenever I want to see an image about encaustics, artists using denim  instead of duck cloth, or salvaged wood projects – I search on Pinterest. Follow me on Pinterest – or leave your link here. Tell me, what have you pinned today?


No comments:

Post a Comment