Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back to School @ Gallery U

At graduate school, one of my professors, Jennie Shanker,  told us that is important to diversify your portfolio. Sorry, folks, I didn't go to business school - art school. What she meant was  that as artists we should consider contributing a range of skills and talents to the profession of fine arts, for example, curating a show. I took her advice seriously and decided to curate a show. This  was one of the best things that I ever did. During my tenure as the Art Educators of New Jersey's Advocacy Chair, one of my ideas was to have an artist/teacher exhibit. As chair, I  had worked together, along with other board members, to put this show on at Kean University- a member of the organization. However, as an individual artist, I needed to do all this work by myself. I started by approaching a gallery - I picked my favorite - Gallery U in Red Bank


I contacted school boards, colleagues, and arts organizations in Monmouth and Ocean counties. With Robert's assistance, dates were set, a prospectus was written. I collected the artists' statements and images for a power point presentation. Then, together, we decided which 39 pieces would work together. Letters were sent to the selected artists, flyers and Facebook invitations were made. From this point forward, the artists need to drop off the work, then Robert will hang the work and I will assist. If you are in the area, stop by Gallery U on Sept. 14 for the opening. What have you ever considered doing differently in your profession? 

1 comment: