Thursday, November 8, 2012

A week without power produces new painting

Within an hour of my last entry, I had lost power. Trees had come crashing down, winds kicked up and it seemed that all hell broke loose. Yes, about 1/2 the tree fell on the roof of the house and then landed on the corner of the porch. I have never heard a noise so loud in my life.
During the week of no power, I was able to finish A Woman in the Polar  Night. This was a great non-fiction read about Christiane Ritter's year long adventure on Svalbard with her husband during early 1930's.  Just when I thought I had it rough without electricity, I was acutely reminded that at least I didn't have to shovel my way out of snow to find wood and coal to heat the stove. I wish Ritter had gone into more intimate detail of her thoughts and her daily life. But overall, it was a good read. 

Also, during the week, I began to write a grant for funding to continue to work on my series of salvaged wood pieces. Without internet, I was unable to do research on line, so it was just pure writing. I think it will need several revisions before it is ready. 

Since I was unable to do any woodwork without electricity, I did a lot of journaling, drew and painted this image of the tree. At one point in my life, I was going to complete of series of 12 trees - one for each month. Somewhere along the line, I lost interest but did however complete two - October and May. Well, it seems now that I have a November tree. It is not complete, but I find it satisfying to work on a painting again. 

November tree, 2012

Here are the other two trees done in 2005 and 2006.

October Tree

May Tree
Today, I am home from school because of the snow brought in by last night's Nor'easter. Looks like winter is coming to quote from Game of Thrones. I am beginning to understand the fear of winter. My ideas about our relationship with nature are shifting. I am in the process of reading several books  - Rachel Carson, Rebecca Solnit, Terry Tempest Williams, and a few other environmentalists. My trip to the Arctic Circle seems more timely and relevant than ever.

Here are some images of my trees as they stand since the storm.










1 comment:

  1. Very nice blog, thanks for your generous info. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete