Thursday, November 15, 2012

Exhibits, Grants and Ops for November


In the aftermath of a hurricane and a nor'easter, I have been slowly piecing my life back together. Two receptions that had to be postponed due to the weather were scheduled on the same evening that my friend's father was waked over this past weekend. One could say that it was like two receptions and a funeral that evening. Surprisingly, there were a great many deaths during the storm. Not related to the storm directly, but elderly folks that passed during the week - maybe from the sheer stress of the events. I don't know. But there were many life altering changes that week. The shock of driving around and seeing piles of sand and garbage as well as numerous destroyed homes is pressing into my imagination.

The first reception on Friday night was at the Center of Contemporary Arts in Bedminster. There I exhibited my work with a soon to be Moore alumnus, Dawn Kramlich. Her work is seen below-


There were many great works in the show. Take a look.

Hillary Shank-Kuhl

Anthony Heinz May
Christina Massey
The second show on Friday was at Gallery U, where artist and curator Robert Landgon resurrected Halloween. Halloween is my second favorite holiday -  Thanksgiving is my first. It was great to exhibit with one of my favorite artist, Lauren Curtis. Of course, there was a treat at this reception - my piece sold!


Saturday night, was the reception for Works in Wood at New Hope Arts Center, New Hope, PA. This was an especially wonderfully evening because I reconnected to a dear friend Monika Hauser. Her husband, Philip, is wood turner and a prize winner at the show. The reception was extremely lively and many works sold, including Philip Hauser's works and mine. 

It was especially rewarding to attend these three shows this past weekend. Prior to the shows, I received three rejection letters. (Always frustrating) Of course, the life of an artist is a roller coaster, because yesterday, I heard from the Abington Center. They offered me a solo show for 2013. In other words, keep getting your work out there and keep making work. 

Speaking of getting your work out there - here are a few exhibit opportunities and a grants available.


The Artist Guild of New Jersey, Rahway - The Gallery at Arts Guild New Jersey accepts and reviews work throughout the year.  Click here for more information.

Perkins Center for the Arts, Photography Exhibit. Click here.

Fellowship opportunity at the Center for Emerging Visual Artists in  Philadelphia- click here.

Garden State Film Festival - Dec. 1 - click here

There is an open call for new artists to join the Art Alliance of Monmouth County- click here for more information. 

Monmouth Festival of the Arts - click here. 

Grants -

Small but Mighty Art Grants - click here

For women only, the Barbara Deming Memorial Fund- click here.




























No comments:

Post a Comment