Saturday, December 29, 2012

Reflecting on the year and planning for the new

The new year approaches and it is a time for reflection and planning. One of the best tools for self reflection is Susannah Conway's Unravelling 2013. I don't know if I could be so cool to post all my hopes, disappointments, achievements and failures like she does - but I do them in my journal. Even if you don't journal, I would suggest to try this for one year and see what happens. This is such a beautiful opportunity to allow yourself time to dream.

One my big goals for the year is to find a blog space and a place for my website. I hate how the two are so disconnected. It makes me feel disorganized. Another biggie for 2013 is my residency for the Arctic Circle and my solo show at the Abington Art Center in February.

In preparation for my residency, I went to see my husband's sister and her family in Vail, Colorado for the Christmas holiday. I wanted to photograph snow, find boots and test out some of my clothing. I realized that I need to brush up on my photography skills. Although a few pictures were inspiring, I felt that I am not extremely comfortable with taking pictures. My compositions are decent enough, but the technology part of the camera is not where it needs to be. So, I am looking into refresher classes.

my Joan of Arctic boots 

Aspens

Christopher





Casper David Friedrich inspired


Something I realized that I was away that many opportunities - like posting for juried shows- aren't popping up in my blog as frequently. I am spending more time researching opportunities for long term projects and residencies. Let's just hope some of those opportunities come to fruition. Stay tuned.





2 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos! Love your site. Your warmth, talent, and enthusiasm are quite inspiring. And I completely agree with you on journaling. Although I am a writer and pretty much write several hours each day, I still take time to journal. It has become a part of me.
    Best wishes for your future endeavors, Laura! And congrats on your amazing successes!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Terri! Your support has meant a lot to me. I love your reading your blog as well - you are insightful, smart and very funny. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete