Sunday, March 10, 2013

My life as an art teacher

Fort Worth, 7:30 am
This week, I presented at the  NAEA Convention-  "Voices In Urban Art" on Thursday, 3/7/2013 @ 11:00 am in the Texas Ballroom D/Omni/2nd Floor. My presentation was about Chakaia Booker and Kehinde Wiley and how they provided inspiration to my urban 6th grade students to explore themes of urban sustainability and identity. Here is the room about 8 minutes before show time. It was a packed house by the time I started and that made me extremely nervous! I think the crowd loved the Wiley project best. I am considering presenting just the Wiley project as a hands-on activity for the Art Educators of New Jersey conference this October. 


While I was Fort Worth, I had the pleasure of connecting with my cousin Henry and his wife Carolyn for dinner one evening.


Yes, he is the Henry of Henry's Ice Cream

I was very proud to have nominated my friend Kim Defibaugh for the Eastern Region Educator of the Year and even more proud that she was selected. 

photo by JoAnn Onnembo


I also co-presented with the Women's Caucus for Art and showed two pieces (via projector) - Clancy's Farewell and Grid Lock.  These artworks can be seen until March 30 at the Abington Art Center in Jenkintown, PA. 

Since I am talking about my teaching career, I feel that I should mention that my students have been extremely busy making pom poms for the Polar Pom Pom Project. My students have made nearly 250 pom poms to date and only have another 50 to go! We're very excited to be part of this project that brings awareness to the Arctic Circle.  







My school is also celebrating Youth Art Month. I hung artworks at the Board of Education offices for the month of March. The 5th and 6th grade students did paintings inspired by the vibrant and zany art of James Rizzi. For a complete preview of the student artwork, please visit my Artsonia page



No comments:

Post a Comment