Thursday, May 9, 2013

Climate Change in the News

There seems to have been a deluge of climate change news this week and I don't think it is because I have been hyper vigilant about my Kickstarter program, either. Just take a look at these four links. 

Smithson's article: Melting Polar Ice Will Spike Sea Levels at the Equator

How ending your hamburger lust can end climate change


The Guardian reports that our cold spring is due to the polar melt. Read about it HERE. 


The scariest one is this "National security officials worried by rapid loss of Arctic summer sea ice overlook threat of permanent global food shortages."


And this is why I want to go to The Arctic CircleThis journey will inspire my students that ordinary people can do extraordinary things and make an exceptional impact on the world we all share. As a national board certified teacher, my goal is to create an environmentally literate citizenry who understand the importance of such environmental issues as climate change. 



The melting of sea ice in the Arctic has caught the eye of the US Department of Homeland Security and the Pentagon.
Photograph: John Mcconnico/AP

My mission is to share this vulnerable part of the Earth with my elementary students through my photographs and journals. The children will experience the beauty, history and vital role the Arctic Circle plays in our survival.  

I want to bring my first-hand experiences back to my students, who so need to understand our collective responsibility to preserve the beauty and bounties of the natural world. It has been proven by researchers that a child's first educational experience, which takes place in the primary years of his/her life, sets the principles for his/her future education. If I teach my elementary students that the environmental movement is about hope, empowerment and action, then perhaps they will realize we must protect the health and well being of the planet.



I hope to fulfill these goals on this residency and with your help – it will be possible. Please continue to spread the word about this opportunity to your friends and family. Please consider donating to my Kickstarter program and at the very least, please help spread the word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment