Sunday, May 26, 2013

Strawberry Fields Forever

There has been so much in the news about the food we eat. Every time I go to Facebook, there is it - MONSANTO. For those who are interested, Monsanto is Section 735, the Farmer Assurance Provision (which the press has since dubbed "the Monsanto Protection Act") which bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of controversial genetically modified (aka GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds. 

I don't know about you - but I don't want to eat frankenfoods. My husband and I grow many of our own produce, but we were still lacking in many varieties of vegetables and fruits that we can't grow (unless we both quite our jobs and worked our plot of land.) 

So what are some options? Well,  we joined a co-op farm, more commonly known as CSA - a community supported agriculture. Our farm is Honey Brook Organic Farm. We finically support this farm and in return we recieve weekly  box of produce delivered to our local organic supermarket. If we want, Peter and I can also go and pick our own selection of the week. This week was a variety of herbs, cut flowers and strawberries. 
Strawberry Fields Forever
We plan on having strawberry pancakes tomorrow. I might try my hand at strawberry jam this weekend. We also picked lots of chive blossoms. Sadly, I lost my chive plant in Hurricane Sandy and my new plant is not large yet. With the chive blossoms, I made chive vinegar. Click here for the recipe. 

http://live.gourmet.com/2011/07/image-of-the-day-chive-flower-vinegar/

My vinegar won't be this pretty for another two weeks or so. This photo is courtesy of Live.Gourmet.com.  My plan is mix the chive vinegar with honey, mustard and olive oil for a salad dressing or marinade. By sharing my obsession with environmentalism, I hope to  inspire others to make alternative choices in the way we eat and buy food.  


No comments:

Post a Comment