Sunday, June 9, 2013

Busy as a bee

When I created "Just Passing Through," I never thought that they would find a permanent home. These pieces were my master thesis for my MFA at Moore College of Art & Design. This Saturday was the  installation day of those works.


Here they are loaded on the trailer for their journey to Abington Art Center. These pieces will be on  permanent display in their sculpture garden. If you recall, one of my pieces was tossed into Wesley Lake last summer - you can read about it here. Then, ironically, that was the same piece lost in Hurricane Sandy. So over this spring, I found a new replacement for it. This new addition is the one on the ground. 
Just Passing Through, 2011
There was a wedding scheduled that afternoon at Abington Art Center so I wasn't able to take professional photos - this is just a quick snapshot. Over the summer, I will return with the camera and tripod. It feels great to know that this work is an amazing sculpture park!

I also finished two pieces this weekend. One is a commission, First Love,  and the other, Relative Confusion, is for either the Noyes Museum exhibit or my solo show in Brooklyn. 
First Love, 2013
First Love is 45" x 45" x 1" and Relative Confusion is 38" x 38" x 1". 
Relative Confusion, 2013
So if you are curious to see what my studio likes these days - here is a great shot-

I am still looking for wood. I travel up and down the shore collecting now from houses that are being demolished. Now that the summer season has arrived - hunting has become a challenge. I was approached by an officer and was asked politely not to pick through any more garbage. He was understanding and I was so shocked that I got into my truck. 

Some of my pieces will be on display at Art In City Hall -  Recent Graduates, a juried art exhibition sampling early works by emerging artists from some of Philadelphia’s prestigious art schools.  The works were selected by members of the Art In City Hall Exhibitions Advisory Committee composed of local arts professionals: Amie Potsic, Executive Director of the Main Line Arts Center; Leslie Kaufman, Executive Director of Philadelphia Sculptors; and Ona Kalstein, Board Member of the Da Vinci Art Alliance.  The exhibition runs from June 10th – August 2nd  in the Art Gallery at City Hall, Room 116 near the East Portal entrance facing East Market Street.  A reception for Recent Graduates is scheduled for June 13th, from 5-7 pm.










No comments:

Post a Comment