Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Longyearbyen

Today I woke up in Longyearbyen time. No jet lag - thankfully. Walked around town and discovered many new and exciting facts about this place. It is the largest and most northern settlement here with a population of about 2000. There is a museum, university, and lots of snowmobiles- called scooters here. It was established in 1906 by a coal mining company. When I walked around the children were outside playing in the school  yard. There are three kindergartens here and one larger school. I almost had the urge to go help for playground duty - but I didn't. When the little children are outside, they were reflective vests. I suppose that may be for the dark time - the time of year when this place sees no sunshine for three months.
houses on the water

the old coal mine station

there are "scooters" everywhere around here

this is the school yard

houses

kindergarten entrance
Many front door ways have antlers hanging from them. yes, reindeer antlers that have shedded. I don't know what the custom is for this - but it looks cool. By the time my walk around town was done, it started to snow.

In the afternoon, I meet one of the artists from the group. She's from Germany and was exciting talking and walking with her. Later in the afternoon, we connected with Diane Burko and Richard Ryan. Today, everyone gathers together for our orientation. I was so excited that I barely slept a wink!

2 comments:

  1. Laura- it's Danielle knight...Chris' wife. I've even following this amazing adventure!!! Wow! I can't wait to see more. God bless. Your new students are lucky to have you. Be safe and enjoy this chance if a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete