Thursday, September 26, 2013

More Longyearbyen


This photo was taken outside the school. Again, I thought of my friends and students at Clifton Ave Grade School. Even the Angry Birds & Pigs are in the Arctic Circle.


This is the higher school. Not a great shot, but notice all the windows in the school. 


The school is also attached to the local gym. The connection is all indoors. The gym has a swimming pool and is open to the public as well. 


Here's the scale of the building.




So this the downtown. Pictured here on the left is postoffice, bank, and few other shops. Below is the entrance door into the post office. Weapons are not allowed in the grocery store or the post office. Weapons are carried here for polar bear protection. Most folks carry the weapons in a case - so you never really see them. 



Huskies are every where - I keep thinking of Roscoe, my friend's, Diane Armstrong, dog. He would love the cold. 


As I mentioned earlier, this was an old mining town. This afternoon, some other artists and I climbed to the opening of mine #4. Here's the view of the town.


Here's the mine. We didn't go in. I keep thinking I didn't want to go in - a broken ankle or ribs wouldn't be a good idea. 


Here's an animal print in the mud and covered with frost. At first, I thought it was a bear print but after showing it to people who know - it probably is just a reindeer print that has expanded over time.



Two other artists who made the climb with me.



This is how close that I got to the opening of the mine.

Tomorrow we leave at noon to head to the boat. There is a great deal of anticipation and anxiety. From this point on, there will be no contact via phones or internet for the next two weeks. My next update on the blog will be when the trip is over. Everything will be a memory. Good bye for now!



1 comment: