Friday, September 20, 2013

Redesign @ Perkins Art Center, Collingswood NJ

Perkins Art Center in  Collingswood, NJ is one of the hottest art centers in South Jersey. The space is industrial, open and funky- a sculptor's dream space, in my humble opinion. Saturday night was the opening of one my favorite artist's show- Simone Spicer.  If you are not familiar with Spicer's work, you should be. I admire her ability to seam issues of social and political issues into contemporary sculptures. Her work along with other artist, Leo Sewell and Joanne Platt, were showcased in this exhibit entitled "Redesign." What bonded these three together  was their ability to use recycled materials without making the viewer realize that the artists had used discarded materials. When I saw the works, I was amazed at the craftsmanship, elegance, formal artistic qualities and professional presentation. Only after examining the work closely did the thought occur to me that the medium was once headed for a dumpster. I liked the surprise very much. 

Here are a few highlights:
Joanne Platt, Visible Horizon

Leo Sewell, Duck


Simone Spicer, Street Person


Simone Spicer, Women's Section

Simone Spicer, Fallen Hero

Leo Sewell, Atlantic Salmon



The exhibit is open until Oct. 26 - for more information on directions and hours, please visit http://www.perkinscenter.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment