Friday, September 6, 2013

September Reflections

The sabbatical has begun and I am now one step closer to getting to the Arctic Circle. I just wanted to thank my amazing and generous supporters listed on the right side of the blog. In the words of Diana Nyad, "...it looks like a solitary sport, but it's a team." No truer words could have been said about this trip. From the editing of application, letters of support, words of advice, words of encouragement, collaboration meetings, finical support, emotional support - you name it! These folks are my team! 

There are still lots of things to do - get hand warmers, organize camera supplies, organize contact list for postcards - the list goes on! 90% of the gear does fit into suitcase, thankfully. However, I still have to bring two suitcase though for camera gear, regular clothes, journal supplies, computer, small watercolor set. I will try to repack again this weekend. 




 In June, when I opened the studio doors to a full time practice, I had such lofty ideals of a perfect summer- a summer of Laura (if you are a Seinfeld fan, you'll know the reference). The plan was to go sunrise yoga everyday, have a lovely cup of coffee and journal, work in the studio, lunch on the porch, back in the studio and end the day with cocktails by the pool. The dream was to have a series of the most amazing artworks because my summer was perfect and bucolic - like a page from Martha Stewart's magazine. Well, a serious ear infection and my dad's sudden and unexpected passing changed this. In the silence of my daily studio practice, I learned something was something really powerful. Did you see that: "daily studio practice." I went into that room everyday - even if I just swept the floor and bitched that I couldn't be creative and mournful, sick, stressed, tired, whatever  at the same time.  The point is to show up everyday in the studio - even the day after I buried my dad, I went into the studio and worked.

 When Judith Rodenbeck had showed up for a studio visit, I was really scared that I didn't have enough work done. I started to talk about this piece, that one, and those three and the four upstairs in the house. I had realized that showing up everyday mattered. There is no perfect life or perfect situation to make art. In the words of  John Maxwell..."small disciplines repeated with consistency every day lead to great achievements gained slowly over time.” 

Not of all the work is stellar. This piece, Sandy's Folly, is not my favorite. The colors are awkward to my sensibilities and the circles feel unresolved. But this piece is special - it is a reminder that  life will be always be present. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post Laura, I'm so excited to see what you are a part of on your expedition. And thank you also for the reminder and encouragement to continue a daily studio practice.

    ReplyDelete