Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Orphans, Brawlers and Bastards

In case you were missing my monthly blog updates, I want to share with you the many changes this past year.  In July, I lost my father. Nine months later, in April, I lost my mother.  I realized that I am an orphan.


One of the many tasks in dealing with death is that fact that  my siblings and I have had to clean out their condo in order to sell it. As a result, my husband and I inherited two sofas, a couple of carpets and lots and lots of books. We just finished cleaning our house, moving the furniture in place and are now in the process of settling into this new looking space. My daily groove has been altered.


Physical changes  in this new environment  can be overwhelming and amazing at the same time. I mean it is the same house that I have lived in since 2001 - but there is such a huge difference in how I operate my daily life now that physical space has been changed. 

Another major change is that I am no longer an elementary art teacher. After 15 years of teaching in the public school system, I woke up today realizing that I am now self employed. 


Yesterday, was my last day at the school. My students gave me lots and lots of cards. I wish them well and I will miss them. But I am so ready to work on my art full time- it just feels like this right and the moment is perfect.  In addition to now being  a full time, self employed artist, I am also teaching at Ocean County College as an adjunct professor.  In preparation for my fall class,  I am really cleaning my office. What not? Changes are sometimes unsettling as well as exhilarating - even though my heart and head knows this change is for the best. 


I don't know how much the title of this blog post relates to this post, expect that I am an orphan. It is just that I am listening to that Tom Waits cd now and it seemed like a good idea. 





3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you Laura in this career change, you are going to do great things! I look forward to the day when I can pull off the same move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben! Just keep your eye on the prize and you will get there - you have all the skills, talent and drive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss Laura. Very excited about your venture into self employment- you have a gift, so many people do not follow their passion, I know you will do well.

    ReplyDelete