Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Bees Knees

Last week, my husband, Peter, and I traveled to Richmond, Kentucky for the annual Eastern Apiculture Society Conference - a beekeepers conference.

Here are the highlights:
Kentucky Honey Bees enjoying a hydrangea plant.


It was great fun meeting other beekeepers - especially the women beekeepers. Two women in particular were Tammy Horn and Erin Forbes. Don't get me wrong - there were inspirational men beekeepers as well. But, I find woman personally inspiring. 




The classes were held in the new science building on the campus of Eastern Kentucky State University. On the 4th floor was the chemistry department. Throughout the hallways, there were stencils of compounds from everyday life - peppermint compound, beer compound, vanilla compound. My favorite was how the bathrooms were marked. This picture "estrogen" marked the ladies room. I loved it. 




There was some time to take in a quilt show, as well. The south seems to have a great tradition for quilting which pleased me greatly.

The day before we left for this trip, I had the opportunity to visit the Dia in Beacon. That review will be in my next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment