Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Talk about the luck of the Irish! I have four of my drawings that I made in Ireland on display this month!

photo courtesy of A.I.R. Gallery

The first drawing, on the far back left corner where the couple is looking,  is part of the Unframed exhibit at A.I.R. Gallery. It is titled "Catching Fire."
111 Front Street
Brooklyn, NY
March 5 - 29, 2015
Gallery Hours: Wed - Sun 12-6pm

Burren, 2010

The other three, Burren, Cloudbursting, and Gauze are in the "Savor the Arts: Celebrating Ireland" exhibit at Middletown Art Center. 
36 Church Street,
Middletown, NJ
March 20 - April 18

Opening Reception: March 20, 7-9 PM

 I am very proud of these works.  During my residency at the Burren College of Art in County Clare, Ireland, most of the days were wet, cold and blustery. Instead of lamenting about the bad weather, I decided to include the rain as a partner in my work. First, I rubbed the ancient slate floors of an Irish castle with peat ash from the fireplace. This peat turf comes out of the earth and carries the memory of trees and fields and long-gone times. I imagined that this ancient floor held secrets of loneliness, sadness, anger and despair as kindness, love, laughter and a strange sense of knowing how life should be. Then, I surrendered the paper to the notorious Irish rain. No longer was I using my visual language to express my image of the land, but now I was interacting creatively with the rain as essential part of the work. The rain and I created visceral inscriptions of time and place on the paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment