Thursday, November 19, 2015

International Sculture Conference in Phoenix

I am back from another invigorating International Sculpture Conference (ISC) in Phoenix.  

The main reason why I went to this conference was to check out the Museum of WalkingAngela Ellsworth , the co-founder of Museum of Walking, is a multidisciplinary artist who lead the 3 hour, 8 mile walk. I loved meeting her, and the other walkers, and talking about this artform  of walking. It was super inspirational and reconnected me with the more performative aspects of my practice. I feel another project is in the works...




I really wanted to meet and network with others who are interested in as walking as an art form. I am so glad that did. As many of you know, I spent three weeks in the Arctic Circle walking (click here for that recap)! Many of the things that I have collected on my walks, have turned into sculptures - tree limbs, boats, plastic bottle caps. There is a real aesthetic appeal in the discarded and overlooked. However, the walk with Angela was about the walk - not the collecting of objects. In that regard, it resembled the hikes on Svalbard (seen below). 




The walk didn't just end with this group expedition. The next day, I hiked Superstitious Mountain to check out the  petroglyphs. 









There were other reasons to visit Phoenix - to see my husband's sister and her husband. They lead us on this amazing hike to the mountains.

Some other highlights of the conference were:

Bentley Gallery:





detail of Rebecca Campbell's Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?

Rebecca Campbell's Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?

Ai Weiwei: Circle of Animals / Zodiac Heads: Gold


Gianfranco Ferré's Collections

Cornelia Parker's Mass (Colder Darker Matter, 1997)

Tom Friedman's Circus, 2006

Alfredo Jaar, The More Things Change, 1990









No comments:

Post a Comment