Thursday, June 2, 2016

Antigua, Guatemala

Quilts are obviously my thing - but so is weaving and knitting. After all, my first Masters degree is from Drexel University in Fashion Design. I have been wanting to reconnect to my love of weaving and knitting for some time and was very excited to be invited to go to Guatemala with Rebecca Welz. Rebecca and I had meet at the Vermont Studio Center where she was the visiting artist. To learn more about Rebecca - please click on her website: http://www.rebeccawelz.net



Antigua, Guatemala

Over the years, Rebecca has organized  trips to Mexico,  Guyana and Guatemala in which craftspeople there work with us to learn how to create hand made products from leather, cotton, wood and metal. Guatemala in particular is known for its hand woven textiles. Rebecca worked with Alida Perez, the founder of the Museo Casa del Tejido Antiguo, a craft museum and cultural center in Antigua, to organize this amazing opportunity to make a woven fabric using a back strap loom. 










To read more about Rebecca's project and learn about my trip, please click here: https://bkaccelerator.com/the-antigua-project-a-design-craft-collaboration/

And for more photos, please visit my Facebook album titled: Guatemala or click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment